A Better Food Trader is a food business trading for social purpose, not to maximise profit. This is a community of thriving enterprises, deeply connected to their customers using innovative ways to produce, distribute and supply healthy food.
Becoming a Better Food Trader gives your business a leg up, offering access to learning and development, experienced mentors in your field and surrounding you with a community of inspiring leaders in the sustainable food sector.
Meet the Better Food Traders
Find out if you are eligible
Download Better Food Trader Brochure
Read our vision for a resilient food system
Our application process has two steps: first, you submit an online eligibility form; if we think you might be a good fit, we’ll invite you to fill out the full application form. If you do not meet the criteria, we give you a list of suggested changes to enable you to become a Better Food Trader. You then have the option of updating and resubmitting your application. See our Standards and Guidelines to help you through the application process. We’re taking applications now from fruit and veg schemes, and later this year from Community Supported Agriculture schemes, market stalls, online food hubs and shops.
You're given the result
The membership panel meets every six months to assess.
– You stop reinventing the wheel. You have access to an online forum where you can exchange ideas, solutions and share resources with other like-minded organisations
– You have access to free advice and training
– You become part of a nationwide moment that provides a real alternative to the current environmentally damaging food system. We collect information from all our members, which we use to demonstrate our collective impact to customers, funders and policymakers
– Your customers will get the sense of being part of something bigger
– and it’s free to join for the first 50 organisations
What we expect from a Better Food Trader
MISSION DRIVEN, TRADING FOR SOCIAL PURPOSE, NOT TO MAXIMISE PROFIT
BUILDING SUPPLY CHAIN TRANSPARENCY, TRUST AND COOPERATION
SOURCING FOOD SUSTAINABLY, USING THE FOOD ZONES AS A FRAMEWORK
CHAMPIONING ECOLOGICAL FARMING AND FOOD PRODUCTION
PROMOTING A DIET THAT IS GOOD FOR BOTH PEOPLE AND PLANET
DISTRIBUTING FOOD IN A LOW-CARBON, LOW-IMPACT WAY
BUILDING A STRONG COMMUNITY IN SUPPORT OF OUR WORK
STRIVING TO CHANGE THE BIG PICTURE