Ingredients | Serves 4 | Cook 15 Mins
- 3/4 pound trimmed kohlrabi bulbs
- 1/3 cup Japanese-style sesame seeds (not hulled), toasted
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Peel kohlrabi bulbs with a small sharp knife, then cut into matchsticks.
- Grind sesame seeds in pestle and mortar or electric grinder, then transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. (Dressing will be thick; thin slightly with additional water if desired.)
- Serve salad drizzled with some of dressing and serve remainder on the side.
Cooks’ note: Salad and dressing can be made 1 day ahead and chilled separately, covered. If dressing is too thick to drizzle, thin with 1 teaspoon water.
Share This Recipe
By cooking with seasonal ingredients provided by a local fruit and veg box scheme, you can contribute to the development of local, sustainable food networks that offer a more ethical and more robust solution to feeding the planet. You’ll be supporting regional growers and producers who use planet-friendly farming methods in finding alternative routes to market. And all by getting back in the kitchen.
Help us grow our Veg Box Recipes page by sending us your favourite meals, sides, starters and puds, and we’ll feature our favourites on the site. And, to get you started, fill your fridge with seasonal veg from your local Better Food Trader. We’re positive you’ll taste the difference.